Arrange a break from caring

Emergency help

Carers often worry about what will happen if, at short notice, they are unable to care.
The Princess Royal Trust for Carers in Hampshire will help you to discuss, develop and implement your own emergency plan so that you can arrange care at short notice.

Once your Emergency Plan has been completed and signed it is backed up by:

  • a 24-hour telephone line 0800 169 1577
  • information about other services available
  • up to 48 hours of care services free of charge in the event of an emergency
  • a carer's emergency card.
Carer’s emergency card

This card, which includes emergency contact numbers, should be carried in your bag or wallet. In the event of an accident, this would help alert police officers, the ambulance service or other emergency response staff to the fact that there is also someone else in need of help.
Print and complete the Carers emergency card now. (You do not need to have a PRT emergency plan).

Getting a break

Short break services and Day opportunities

You can search our Community Directory to find local organisation offering breaks for carers (look under 'Support for carers) and day opportunities (look under 'Community support/activities').

Community activities

Many local community groups and activities available to the person you care for may offer you the opportunity of a break. Look in our Community directory under 'Community support/activities' for lunch clubs and social groups in your area. Some clubs may be able to offer transport.

Carers of adults with learning disabilities

There are many groups, activities and clubs in Hampshire for adults with learning disabilities which offer their carers or relatives an opportunity to take a break.

Care at home

If you need a short break during the day, you could use our Home care directory to find providers who offer a ‘sitting service’. You can also search for 'live-in help' to allow you to go away (overnight or for a longer break or holiday).

Local care homes

Many care homes offer short stay care if you need a break. Use our Care homes directory and select 'Short stay' (respite) under admissions.

You can also search for care homes which offer day care for non-residents (this might be informal day care, joining in with the daily activities of the residents, or formal, organised day care services)..


If the person you look after needs special care whilst on holiday, due to disability or other conditions, there are specialist care holiday organisations and accommodation. See the Holidays page in our Getting out and about information section. 

Help from Hampshire County Council

The Take a Break service can only be accessed via the Adults' Health and Care department through a carer's assessment and is provided, under contract, by a range of providers throughout Hampshire

Last reviewed: 11/05/2018