Please review and correct the information below.

Concessions, discounts and transport help

Concessionary travel in Hampshire

Older residents and those with a disability can take advantage of free travel on local buses throughout Hampshire and the rest of England. In some cases travel is within certain specified times. 

You will need to meet criteria on age or disability. You may also be entitled to a “companion pass” if your disabilities mean that you are unable to travel unaccompanied.

Read more about bus passes and travel vouchers or telephone 0300 555 1376 for information.

Train travel discounts

If you are aged 60 or over, you are eligible for a Senior Railcard which entitles you to a third off the price of most first class and standard rail fares. The card costs £30 and is valid for one year. You can buy a Senior Railcard online, at a staffed station ticket office or by calling 0345 3000 250. You will need a valid passport or UK driving licence in order to prove you are eligible.

A Disabled Person's Railcard costs £20 for one year. It entitles you to a third off the price of most first class and standard rail fares and if you are accompanied by another adult, they can also travel at the same discounted fare. Application forms are available online and from rail stations and main post offices. Alternatively, telephone the Disabled Person’s Railcard Helpline on 0345 605 0525 or Textphone 0345 601 0132.

Discount coach card

National Express offer a Senior coachcard for over 60’s and a Disabled coachcard for those who are registered disabled at a cost of £10 plus £2.50 p&p per year. The concessionary passes entitle the traveller to 1/3 off your travel on most National Express coach services.

Please give at least 24 hours notice if you travel with a guide dog.

Journey assistance cards

You may need a little extra help whilst making your journey on public transport. It could be, for example, that you have trouble seeing or hearing or you need time to reach your seat. If you do not feel comfortable speaking to the driver in front of other people to ask for assistance, you may find it helpful to use a Journey Assistance Card. You can print out and use these cards to show the driver, in a discreet way, what help you may need. Journey Assistance Cards 

N.B. These are not 'official' cards recognised by all operators and we cannot guarantee that you will receive the assistance you are asking for. Some bus operators, however, such as the First group, do produce these cards and drivers have undertaken awareness training.

Voluntary organisations

Most voluntary organisations that provide transport for individuals, such as Good Neighbours groups, rely on volunteer drivers who are reimbursed a mileage rate when using their own car. Passengers will generally be asked to contribute towards the cost of this transport at around 50 pence per mile, although rates will vary between organisations.

Most Councils of Voluntary Service (CVS) run local transport schemes. These are primarily for groups wanting to hire a minibus but they may be able to help with individual transport requests.

Getting around London

If you are planning a trip to London, Transport for London has produced a series of Accessibility guides. The information includes an audio tube map, a step free underground guide and a printable travel support card among other things. For help in planning your bus or underground journey in London, use the online Journey planner or contact the 24-hour travel information centre on 0343 222 1234.

Last reviewed: 21/04/2016