Other housing options

Suitable housing

If you are finding it hard to manage in your current house or flat you may want to consider altering it to suit your needs. See our Equipment and adaptations information section.

Shelter gives practical housing advice and support online, in person and by phone.

Expert advisers give free, confidential advice 365 days a year, helping with everything from mortgage arrears to finding a place to sleep.

Citizens Advice offers information and advice about housing issues, your rights and responsibilities, renting or buying a home or finding somewhere to live, landlords, eviction and mortgage payments and help to avoid losing your home.

Council housing

You can apply for council housing through your local council's housing department.

You will usually have to join a waiting list and you are not guaranteed to get a property.

Housing associations

Housing associations are private, non-profit making organisations that provide low-cost housing for people in need of a home. Although independent they are regulated by the government and often receive public funding. Many housing associations also run shared ownership schemes to help those who cannot afford to buy a home outright.

You can apply directly to a housing association, or often through your local council. You can apply to more than one housing association at a time.

Once you apply, you will be put on a waiting list.

Housing associations normally offer housing to people most suited to that particular property. You may have to wait a long time for a suitable property to become available.

More about housing association homes

Extra care housing

Extra Care housing is a recent development in care for older people, offering independent living but with care and support on hand.

Extra Care housing offers individual one or two bedroom flats, or sometimes bungalows, within a larger development. Care and support services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Extra Care also has the benefit of allowing couples – who may have very different care needs - to stay together.

The schemes are for older people, usually in their 70s and 80s. However, all schemes are different and some cater for a wider age range.

Extra Care housing can be bought or rented privately, or it may be provided by a local authority, subject to eligibility.

See our informtion page on Extra care housing to find out more.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is mainly for older people and usually takes the form of a group of small bungalows or flats supervised by a scheme manager, who may or may not live on site, and who can give help and support in an emergency.

Sheltered housing can be bought or rented privately, or it may be provided by a local authority, subject to eligibility.

To find out more about local authority funded sheltered housing, contact your local council's housing department.

Supported housing

There are some ‘group living’ schemes which offer communal accommodation to small groups of people in a similar situation - a kind of house-share.

These schemes are mainly for people with learning disabilities and for people with mental health problems. Group living schemes are run largely by voluntary organisations or housing associations.

For more information on these schemes please contact Hampshire County Council’s Adult Services department.

Shared lives

For those assessed as eligible by Adult Services, the Shared Lives scheme provides a permanent home, a short stay, or day care in an ordinary home setting in the community.

Shared Lives started as a scheme for adults with learning disabilities but is increasingly becoming an option for older people as well as those with physical disabilities and mental health conditions. The scheme is always interested in hearing from those who would like to be a Shared Lives carer.

Last reviewed: 21/04/2016